We need an experienced Developer to take a central and pivotal role within one of our high performing dev teams. Working on a cutting-edge application that has a user base of 40,000 staff and customers globally.
£60-70K depending on experience.
- Do you thrive as part of the Open Source community? Or do you at least fall on that side of the fence? Not too close to the fence and definitely not on it :)
- Does Continuous Delivery float your boat?
- Interested in microservice architecture, containerisation and Kubernetes?
- Do you want to help guide and lead a team that is empowered to release and deliver multiple times a day?
- Want to work somewhere where your experience really counts, where the client sees and appreciates your work daily?
- Work in a place where you can make a difference, in a small team start-up feel but with support of a larger community of developers and like-minded people?
- All of this in a place that cares about your work-life balance and has a focus on looking after people?
Our fast-moving development team is working on a cutting-edge web application/portal for one of the largest telecoms companies in the world, building and deploying microservices at scale, with multiple global regions. We interact with people around the planet who are using our services to deliver theirs…
We are developing in Golang for small, fast and reliable Microservices, and have a large set of Python microservices to maintain and update.
Who is Headforwards?
We are a software development company with just over 110 people originally from 18 different countries and we like to have fun at work! We are agile with a very laid-back feel, a relatively flat structure and small self-organising teams of 2-7 people. We work in teams dedicated to various clients and we work on global projects with cutting edge technologies, tools and techniques. There's no pressure to work extra hours to churn out more and more code. Our culture and environment is dedicated to making people happy at work. We don't like to work as individuals, working here means working as part of a team.
We're all working remotely during the COVID-19 crisis, but you'd normally find us in the offices.
We live and work in beautiful Cornwall, our offices are 5 miles from the beach. We want to make sure our people have a good work life balance so that they can enjoy all that Cornwall has to offer :) We have lots of social activities and there is always something going on; BBQs, bowling, our annual festival with camping, watersports, music and food. Friends and family are all invited!
We'd love to find someone already in, or willing to relocate to Cornwall to come and join us. Either way, you'll work remotely until we can go back to the offices and/or you can relocate safely.
Key Personal Traits
- An experienced developer, with previous meaty roles in a Linux environment. Developing in Python, Golang, C, C++ or similar / related languages.
- We're after a natural problem solver and able to align business delivery priorities against implementation choices
- You'll need the desire and ability to continually learn to improve yourself, and your colleagues
We enjoy spirited exchanges of ideas, pushing us towards technical excellence and we expect to hear your voice in these conversations. But we don't want you to be the only voice. Your experience means you'll be a strong guide in decision making, but value making decisions as a team. We want people whose experience and attitude means they will make sure that others are heard. People who can appreciate that anyone's ideas and thoughts are beneficial, no matter the level of experience they have.
Key Technical Skills
- Knowledge of relational and / or non-relational (NoSQL) databases (we use MongoDB, Postgres, Redis, InfluxDB)
- Python/Golang, or other related languages..
- Experience of message queues (we use Kafka)
- Experience of container orchestration (we use Kubernetes, Docker)
- An operational mindset with knowledge of high availability, monitoring and diagnostics in a microservice oriented architecture
- Understanding of the web application stack
- A pragmatic and practical approach to solving business problems
- Exposure to test driven development and integration testing
- Experience working with development team tools (e.g. continuous integration systems (we use Jenkins) and version control systems (we use Git)
What do you get in return?
- A great salary, up to £70K for the right person
- Great benefits including health cash back plans, salary sacrifice car leasing and more
- 25 days holiday rising to 30 (plus bank holidays)
- You get to work somewhere where your experience really counts, where the client sees and appreciates your work daily!
- You get to work in a place where you can make a difference. A small team start-up feel but with the support of a larger community of developers and like-minded people.
- And all of this in a place that cares about your work-life balance and has a focus on looking after people. We’re not just saying that, we really mean it and our staff will always back us up on that :)
The closing date for this role is 30th June 2020. We recruit on a rolling basis and fill our vacancies as soon as we find people who fit our culture and meet the skills requirements. This means that whilst we have a closing date on all of our roles, we may offer the role to someone before the end date, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible. We reply to all candidates who apply to us, we will always update you on your application!
No recruitment agencies please. We usually try and reply to be polite, but we don't always have time. So, it is very possible that agencies won't hear back from us.